My First Post

Standard

Why you could suffer from more pollution while driving a car than walking on the street

Below is a short finding done in London 2014

• People in cars exposed to up to 15 times pollution of walkers and cyclists
  • Emissions are highest in the centre of the carriageway, where the cars are
  • Dirty air is sucked in through car air filters and breathed in by passengers
  • Those who live in big cities have lower life expectancies because of pollution
  • Vehicles close together suck in each other’s emissions.

My First Post

Standard

Hi,

Today is the third lesson of CM8001 (Impact of Chemistry on Society). We had been given a pre-lecture before class, so it helped us to prepare for the assessment that we did in the class. The class was very interesting and there was a lot of interaction between me and my teammates. I think the idea of team-based learning is really a better method of learning rather than a traditional way of teaching. Looking forward to next week for the next lesson of CM8001.

SMOG OVER LONDON AT MIDDAY FROM THE ORBIT TOWER. PICTURE JEREMY SELWYN 02/04/2014

First Class!

Standard

First day in class went quite well. My group mates are nice and looking forward to work with them! 🙂 At the last part of class we had a discussion about whether passengers or pedestrians inhale more pollution. Quite interesting to listen to the different viewpoints from different people. Hope this class continues to be stress-free haha.

image

My first post

Standard

Today was the first Impact of Chemistry on Society lesson. I learnt about the health hazard pollutants such as particulate matters and carbon monoxide pose to humans.

The last question was thought provoking- do pedestrians inhale less pollutants than the passengers.

poll

My 1st Post :)

Standard

Today I learned about the impacts of chemistry on society. in particular the impact it has on air. the most particularly interesting part of the lecture has to be the new format for lectures that have been introduced to us today, which really emphasised on the importance of self study as well as the benefits of peer learning. in terms of content the recorded material was quite useful in the sense that despite not having done chemistry for about 9 years now, I was still able to understand MOST of the content so YAY ME! the fact that in some cases passengers experience more pollutants than pedestrians was also quite interesting.

SMOG OVER LONDON AT MIDDAY FROM THE ORBIT TOWER.
PICTURE JEREMY SELWYN
02/04/2014