Pre submission write up for approval

Buaian chair is a piece of transformable furniture for users of all age groups. It allows the user to freely change the configuration of the cradle into a chair when the child outgrows the cradle. To prevent clutter, people generally either throw them away or give them to people who may need it. As such, this furniture solves this problem by being multi-functional.

Buaian chair will be made primarily out of bamboo, rattan and plywood. The concept behind the choice of materials is to create a piece of furniture which carries tradition and modernity. Bamboo and rattan was a popular choice back in the day for its durability while plywood is the favored option today for its sleek design. Using bamboo and rattan also signifies a shift towards being environmentally-friendly as both materials grow relatively quickly.

Similarly, the name of the furniture, Buaian Chair, adopts the idea of traditional and modern-day elements. “Buaian” is a Malay word for cradle. With the increasing use of English in the population, the English language can be considered as an element of modernity while the conventional Malay language is a mother tongue that is only used natively, giving it a sense of tradition around it.

FYP Presentation 5 Feedback

Jeff suggested that since using wood bending method to make the furniture will be so expensive, maybe I can do the wood bending myself instead of outsourcing. And he also commented that is not necessary for me to come out with a life size prototype for my final show as I can just use the scaled down mock up model for exhibiting. As for Galina, she doesn’t have any comment for your presentation.

Finding carpenter in Malaysia

After deciding on contracting a carpenter to craft my product for me, I have been searching for one in Johor, Malaysia as I have several personal contacts who might be able to help me out. Furthermore, there was a chance I might get a discounted rate, hence it was more logical for me to source for one in Malaysia as opposed to one in Singapore.

Sourcing for a carpenter proved to be no easy task. Majority of the carpenters I approached preferred to only perform wood-bending in large quantities, not on a single piece of furniture. Even for the very few carpenters who were willing to do so, they charged at an extremely inflated price $7000-8000 Ringgit which is about SGD$2200-2500.

Before finally proceeding with my proposed plan, it was important for me to first confirm my rhino model with my supervisor first. Even for this, I was unsure on whether to start working on the final piece the soonest possible, or to wait after the 5th presentation in case of changes I would be required to make to the furniture.